Thursday, December 4, 2014

Winterland Snowflakes and Ice Birthday Tablescape

December 4th, 2014
Winterland Snowflakes and Ice Birthday Tablescape

I don't know about you but I have been under the influence.  Under the influence of Pinterest that is! I had become obsessive looking for the perfect holiday decor to use in my home for this holiday season.  Every time I would pin an idea another would come along and just like that I was off in another direction ricocheting across the internet!  I finally settled down a bit when I started looking in my own backyard at all of the inspiration that I had bookmarked over the past seven or eight years.  The people and the blogs that had inspired me to blog,  the posts that I had seen at Alma's Seasonal Sundays, Susan's Tablescape Thursdays, and Kathleen's Let's Dish parties.  These are the people that inspired me along with their many followers that have shared their own posts through the years. One of my favorite inspirational tablescapes has been Lori's "Snowflakes and Ice" Tablescape from Dining Delight posted on January 14th in 2012.  Lori shared this tablescape at Tablescape Thursday and Seasonal Sundays plus several other link party sites.  The sparkle and shine of this beautiful table would brighten anybody's winter day.  This is one of several winter tablescapes that Lori has created with snowflakes,  glistening icy crystal like trees,  sparkling deer,  and delightful happy snowmen.   Make sure to get over there to visit and check out her wonderful tablescapes listed on the sidebar by clicking HERE.   I have been gathering snowmen and crystal trees at the thrift stores for nearly two years to use for icy sparkling winter tables this year and when my oldest son said he wanted a Winter Wonderland tablescape for his birthday (I think he wanted to try his new camera out) I knew this would be the table I would create.
Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table
The deer were bought at HomeGoods this year and the large snowflakes under the plates came from the Dollar Tree.  The plates are part of a Sakura Winter Frost set that my sons Rick and Bob gave me for my birthday.  The snowflake napkin rings were sent to me from Marigene at "In The Middle of Nowhere" when I had lamented about not having found any suitable napkin rings to do this table.
Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table
All of the stemware, candle holders, and tablecloth are thrift store purchases.
Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table
The flatware is Lenox - eight place settings bought at a garage sale for three dollars.  The plates are actually more of a baby blue and navy blue on white.  Sometimes I can not figure out why  some photographs do not capture the true colors of an item.
Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table
I was very pleased to find the deer at HomeGoods this fall.  They were just unpacking them when I saw them on the cart.  The young man helping me get them off the top shelf was so tickled that I was so happy with them.
Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table
The HomeGoods price was reasonable enough for me.   The deer that I had found out on the internet had been priced outrageously! 
Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table
Little snowmen have been hoping into my cart while I have been out thrifting for years.  You will be seeing more of them over the next week or two.
Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table
The place card holders were a lucky find at the Salvation Army Family Store, they were new in their original boxes.
I had several glass blocks in my stash bought at thrift stores over the years, but I did buy two more at Hobby Lobby when they were on sale at half price.

Marc's had an amazing assortment of snowflakes this year.  I was like a kid in a candy store running around and buying snowflakes and icicles for this table and for the tree.  There were glass snowflakes and many assorted acrylic snowflakes.  The icicles I found were made of glass and 10 inches in length. At 66 cents each you know I stocked up on icicles!
Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table
It was dark by the time dinner was served for the birthday party so Rick took some pictures by candle light before we sat sown to eat.
Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table

Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table

Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table

Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table

Snowflakes and Ice Winter Wonderland Tablescape - Christmas table
I had originally planned a hunt tablescape for Rick's birthday dinner (as in everything was all washed, pressed and ready to go),  his birthday is early in November and when he said he wanted a winter wonderland tablescape for his birthday dinner I had to get busy and remove all of the fall decor on the shelves and rearranged the china cabinets for the holidays.  I went off to the storage unit and picked up all the little goodies that I had been packing away for this table for so long .  Linens were washed and ironed and all the glass was washed and shined for the occasion.  That was on Saturday - the dinner was on Sunday.  And on Monday all snowflakes and ice was packed back away and all of the fall was returned to the dining room until after Thanksgiving.

The other inspiration this year has been from my husband's little grand daughters.  It started last Christmas with the movie "Frozen" from Disney.  The girls have been endlessly fascinated by the movie and run around their house singing "Let It Go"  and if they are not singing "Let it Go" their little Elsa dolls are.  I decided to take my inspiration from their inspiration "Frozen".  I had always put up a traditional Christmas tree in the living room but this year I decided to "Let It Go"  and do a "Frozen" Christmas tree in the living room (there will be a traditional tree in the family room).   The Christmas tree was started on Monday - just a bit more tweaking before the skirt will be placed beneath the tree and it will be done.
I am still working on it.  The color distribution of the ornaments takes time. But you will get the general idea from the pictures.  Thank goodness for Marc's and the Dollar Tree.


 From the other side:
Have a wonderful week.  Remember to thrift on ladies, thrift on.

I will be sharing at:

Susan's Tablescape Thursday

Christine's Table It Link Party

Marty's Inspire Me Tuesday

Kathe's You're Gonna Love It

What's It Wednesday


25 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Comments like this mean so much to me. Have a wonderful Holiday Season.

      Delete
  2. OMG, I am speechless...this table is stunning, Candy! I can imagine how beautiful it was in candlelight. It is amazing how much of your table has come from the thrift stores. Just proves that there are so many wonderful buys out there if you hang out at thrift stores.
    If I had that many crystal pieces they would probably be in a thousand pieces, clumsy as I am.
    The china and stemware were the perfect pieces to use with this table.
    Your tree is beautiful...I used aqua and silver a few years ago...one of my favorite trees. I have no idea for this year, yet!
    Thanks for sharing your table...I keep going back to look at every little detail...and there are plenty of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am overcome with the beauty of it all - absolutely the most fabulous table and tree I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. The crystal and blue is breath taking on the table - I love all the snowflake accents. The crystal deer are amazing. I've looked at all the photos over and over - and I'm going back for more. This is stunning!!!! I hereby award you the prize for best table ever - anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy I am absolutely speechless over this table words can not express how delightfully beautiful this entire table hutch and tree look. I thought last years post was beyond fantastic this is so out there beautiful. Wow and to think you did this with thrift stores. you have wonderful sons to buy you sets of dishes my sons wouldn't have a.clue.I don't know what a Marcs is (I think you said like a grocery store near you) but I wish I had one too. this table is delightful and I hope your family appreciates the time and great effort you put in to this.it looks like a winter showroom in a fancy dancy store in New York.Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness gracious!!! Candy, this is absolutely DIVINE! Every bit of it is just sublimely spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CANDY!!!

    Where do I start???

    The Tablescape is drop dead gorgeous!! Stunning!! The blue and the crystal is breath taking! you have out done yourself!!

    And the Tree!!! LOVE it!! So pretty!! Some times it is good to step out of our comfort zone and you have done a fantastic job!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!! And for you kind words!!

    hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candy I am so honoured that you mentioned my tablescape(s) as the inspiration for this gorgeous winter table setting! I think you've gone above and beyond what I did - you even have snowflake dishes and placecard holders! You've done a tremendous job rounding up so many terrific items and put them all together wonderfully! I love the colour of blue(s) you've used with the white and crystal - looks so icy! Your layout of the items down the center of the table is spot on and adds to the drama. Your son has done an excellent job photographing the details and yay for him, wanting a winter wonderland table for his birthday! You are amazing to set this all up and take it down again to return to your fall décor! Now that's a true tablescaper! Thanks again for the link back to my table and for your kind compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I forgot to say how much I LOVE your Frozen tree! The colours and decorations are gorgeous! You've take a children's movie idea and really classed it up! I'm sure those granddaughter's are thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Debbie...I don't know where to start!!! Everything is so icy fabulous!!! You must really, really pay very close attention when you're out shopping the thrift stores because you came up with some great pieces from there. The deer from HG were a real coup. It pays to make nice with the stockmen in stores and watch what they're unpacking.

    I have those same place card holders! They really are pretty.

    Lori does come up with some really special tablescapes, and I can see where you would have gotten plenty of inspiration and focus from her site. I agree with you that it's sometimes hard to hone in on a single idea when you get on Pinterest with that dizzying array of creative ideas.

    As for your tree...I am just floored, floored, and floored again! Spectacular doesn't even begin to describe it!!!

    Happy Belated Birthday to your son, and Merry Christmas to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have created a gorgeous table! Those deer are amazing, as are all your crystal items on your table. It looks like you've collected details for this table for years! I love all the snowflakes, too. Your place card holders were a treasure to find. And, then when you showed us your tree, that was a show-stopper. It is perfect in every way! Can you come to my house? I still have no tree up yet (hopefully tomorrow). I'm drooling with wonder over your winterland. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to your son!

    Well, having a winter wonderland right in the warmth and comfort of your own home, with so much WOW factor, is indeed, an amazing accomplishment! You've used two of my own favourite Christmas motifs: snowflakes and snowmen, (the other is Santas) to create a sparkling scene of icy brilliance! I especially love the snowflake plates and the way you've so artistically accessorized them - very pretty. Thanks for sharing; you've inspired me to feel 'cool', as it is 70+ here in the Med!

    Happy weeeknd!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful I love all the thrift dishes you put it together well... and the Christmas tree with Turquoise just wow.. and very lovely.. glad I stopped in.. Happy Sunday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your table is absolutely beautiful...and your tree is my favorite shade of blue! I love the idea of a "frozen" tree...and you have tons of ornaments - it looks so beautiful!
    Shelia @ House of Highlands

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both this amazing tablescape & your awesome tree you've done a fabulous thrifty job on both my tree will have blue decor this year due to my grandson's first xmas and I hope it looks half as good as yours

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful table Candy. Love the colors and the glam of it all. Your tree is fabulous in those colors. Winter Wonderland is alive in your home. Such a pleasure to see your creations. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh Candy! I am so glad I hopped over here because I would not have wanted to miss this icy tablescape! I can just imagine how magical it would be to dine in the room with candlelight dancing all around! And your Frozen tree is da bomb! (Do people still say that?) You know what I mean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Candy, looks like we are all taken with the beauty in your tablescape and tree. Gorgeous and stunning are the words that come to mind. So beautiful, love the snow flakes and your color scheme is perfect. Also Lori always inspires me to with her use of sparkle and light.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just beautiful. love your collections. The tree looks awesome with those lovely fittings. Thank you. love sujatha:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful and I love your tree!....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will be creating another Winter Wonderland scape in January for Kathleen's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely gorgeous! I love all of the glass ware and figures! That tree is stunning!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  22. Candy,
    Oh, dear one. . .I have been "under your spell" viewing this mesmerizing tablescape!!!
    I L O V E SNOW. . .and this winter Wonderland with all of the 'ice crystals' has me drooling!!!
    Such creative, artistic talent!!!
    Thank you for sharing!!! Looking forward to amazing tablescapes in 2015!!!
    Happy New Year!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice Gifts. looking very nice,Thanks for sharing. Blue crystals is a
    Crystal Gift In Bangalore offers different types of gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, I agree with you. This Blue crystal company provides nice gifts.

      Delete