Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Summer Fun Tablescape

I am participating in Cuisine Kathleen's Farewell To Summer Table Challenge. All summer I have looked at everyone's fun summer posts.  I especially liked and was inspired by Alicia's fun post called Picnic Ants  and I still remembered how much I wanted to copy some Alicia's ideas from her 2012 post called Ants in My Pants Picnic.   I am so happy to have this last chance to post a summer table featuring ANTS!  Homemade jingle bell ants (I got the burns from the hot glue gun to prove it).

I used a tutorial that I saw on a Pinterest pin from Dandelions and Dust Bunnies called Ants . Except for the really bad burn on my left thumb, they were fun and easy to make. I also wanted to make some red gingham ant plates from some material I had found on Ebay a while back.  I laminated the gingham ant material to plain clear square glass dinner plates.

Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks
Enough talk - on with the pictures.
Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks
 There are ants walking on wooden watermelon slices from a garage sale (I think)
Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks
 There are watermelon slices and lanterns acting as the centerpiece down the middle of the table.
The watermelon slices came from a garage sale for 25 cents each.
Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks
 Watermelon salt and pepper shakers.
Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks
 The lanterns came from Marc's last winter.
Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks
 The napkins were bought at Pat Catan's Craft Store for one dollar each.
Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks
 The flatware came from Marc's last year. $2.99 for a 20 piece set.
Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks
 The black and white gingham check tablecloth was made from material found at Goodwill.

Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks
 The desert plate and the bean bowl are from Marc's, three for one dollar.
Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks
I originally had three square lanterns with lit candles on the table.  They looked cute but I like the watermelon slices better.




Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks

Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks

Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks

Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks

 
 In this picture you can see the square lantern candle holders.
Jingle bell ants, summer picknic table setting, gingham checks

I will be sharing my extra set of Sunny Days serve ware with Laurie Ritchey.  Thank you to everyone that visited my first anniversary blog posting.  

Park Design Sunny Day Server
                                                
I will be linking to:

28 comments:

  1. Love the red, watermelons, and those ants. Those ants would be the only ones I would invite to my table. LOL
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous table Candy! And your jingle bell ants, OUCH, are so cute! Thank you for suffering, it is all so adorable!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun table, Candy. I LOVE your jingle bell ants and all the checks and colors! Perfect for an end-of-summer table. One can't help but smile looking at all of your work! I'm sure your guests will appreciate such a happy setting. Well Done! Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tablescape is absolutely adorable. It looks so professional - like it should be featured in a magazine. The black and white tablecloth really makes the red pop too. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is way too cut for words! I love it! Those ants are precious. And the placemats and the black check and the watermelons! Loved it all. :-)

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candy every time you do a table I say to myself that is the best one yet but then you top it with one like this I LOVE THIS TABLE. you have such a flare for using the color red. tell me where did you get the watermelon slices down the center of the table? It's so funny I used black checkered this week for my tablescape also. You have such a creative mind and spirit l love what you do sorry about the glue burns been there do it all the time. but they sure came out cute it was worth it wasn't it this has been so great to see this is truly the best one you have done yet.Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the watermelon slices at our neighborhood garage sale earlier this summer for twenty-five cents each. Gotta love those garage sales.

      Delete
  7. How fun are your ant plates you made and jingle bell ants too! Your bandanas make the perfect napkins :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you get the cute glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so much fun. For me, there's no such thing as too much red so I love all your red accents. For sure the ants are the kind with which we can all be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So creative...one of the best theme tables I've seen! Those ants are fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the absolute cutest table I have seen this summer! So fun and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute table ~ so creative and original! Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I agree - one of your best - so summery and cute. Love the big fat ol' ants - and the watermelon stuff, of course. I'm a big fan of watermelon. Love the salt and pepper - and the way you arranged everything. And the plates - what a clever clever clever idea - oh I can see a lot of copy cat in my future. :-)

    Hurray for Laurie - what a lucky lady - I love give-aways, even when I don't win - such fun!

    Now I want to go on a picnic and have watermelon - the ants can stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Candy,
    I LOVE red and black and this is the cutest , most whimsical tablescape!! I shared it on Google + , I love it that much!!!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun-fun table!! I don't understand how you laminated the fabric on to the plates. Did you use Mod Podge glue? Do you mind sharing how you did it? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't even like watermelon or fire ants, but I ♥♥♥ this table, Candy! A mostly monochromatic table is one of my favorites...makes me look for tiny details I might otherwise miss. I am very impressed that you crafted so much of the table...the plates are fabulous as are the ants.
    Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The product I used is called The Photo Laminator from the Craft Shack - very similar to Modge Podge. I found it at Marc's (a local close-out store) a few years back. It laminates (glues) pictures, paper, or material to metal, wood, or glass. A very easy to use product. I checked Ebay and did not find any on there. When I googled the product I didn't find anything on the first couple of pages. I bought several sets of two 12 oz bottles that came with two brushes for each set. I used my last brush making the ant plates. You could use Modge Podge the same way. Clear glass plates with gently sloping sides, fabric (not real heavy) and a good sharp razor to trim the excess material. Brush the glue on the plate, place the material over the wet glue, brush on additional glue to saturate the fabric, brush out bubbles, let dry 8 to 12 hours, trim off excess material *with a sharp razor* to prevent ragged edges. Really nice for holidays where there are very few affordable plates to theme with the holiday or occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for responding to my request for information. It was very kind and thoughtful of you; I can't wait to try it!

      Delete
  18. This is so bright and cheerful and so beautiful, Candy. Nothing speaks more summer to me than watermelons but I will be happy t say farewell to ants....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  19. FABULOUS!!! I love it all Candy; you are so great with themed table, I love this AUNT theme, so red and so bright! Love the dishes, tablecloth and you've met Kathleen's challenge for Summer, perfectly, even saying farewell to the summer aunts, lol!
    Have a great week, ahead.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cute! This is a fun table for the end of summer. Love the darling plates and gingham detail on the glassware.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great table! It jumps off the screen. I love the black and white cloth with all the red. Great prices on the dishes too!
    Thanks for taking the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Candy,

    I can't believe you made those ants -- amazing!! I don't think I'd have the patience to do all those, and you did a great job! They look like you bought them at a store. :) You also did a great job with the ant plates; I assumed you bought them that way.

    This is a darling table. I love all the cheerful red! The watermelon slices are so cute and perfect for summer, and I love the red lanterns and drinking glasses, too. Bandanas are a perfect thing to use for napkins on a summer table; my MIL uses those for 4th of July sometimes. :) You put lots of thought into this, and it turned out just perfect, Candy.

    Thanks so much for visiting me; I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so adorable! The jingle bell ants are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The little ants really do make the table. They were easy to make as long as you remember not to hold them in your hand while using a hot glue gun to attach the legs. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a cute and whimsical table, Candy, and so well thought-out as always. Those ants are actually adorable!

    ReplyDelete