Thursday, December 11, 2014

Christmas Village Copycat Tablescape

Cuisine Katleen has called for another copycat format for her December tenth, 2014 tablescape challenge.  I was torn about what table I would like to copy, but not for long.  One tablescape in my Pinterest boards kept coming up to be repinned over and over again.  It was a table that I simply adored. I have attempted to copy  Susan's Dept. 56 Christmas Table Setting  that she had posted on December 3rd, 2009.  I also used a touch of her tablescaping style and whimsey from her Christmas Setting with Dept 56 Churches  that was posted on December 2nd, 2010.  I then took this tablescape the extra mile (what the heck I was already a day late) and applied Susan's setting suggestions from her Tartan Dishware: Mix and Match Patterns posted on November 6th of this year to create several different looks for my version of a Christmas Village tablescape.  Let me start by saying that I used Christmas houses from the Norman Rockwell series purchased from JoAnn's back in the 1990's with the exception of one Dept. 56 house that my husband bought me for Christmas in the late nineties.  Susan's table in the following picture shows her beautiful houses and lovely Lenox Holiday pattern plates. Red napkins and Waterford wine hocks with crystal champagne flutes, and a crystal iced beverage glass by Waterford. 


Christmas Table Setting with Dept. 56 Lit Houses
Simply beautiful isn't it?  I love the height of the champagne flute relative to the crimson red hock and the iced ted glass. They look so classy together.  I truly tried to locate the Lenox Holiday plates but just could not find any at a reasonable price. For those of you that know me' you will understand what I am saying when I say "you don't see those in the Goodwill store everyday"!!  I found three place settings in my stash (thrifted) but not nearly enough.  I debated on whether to use my Lenox Golden Wreath pattern (12 place settings) purchased from the Goodwill Auction several years ago or  a newer pattern of Lenox pattern bought after Christmas last year.  But I wanted the look of the place settings to stay as true as possible to the look of Susan's table - and this is what I came up with.
Christmas Village Tablescape
 I had eight complete place settings of this Gibson Holiday pattern in my stash and I thought it provided the essence of the look I wanted. The plain white reticulated charger plates were similar to the look of Susan's beautiful charger plates (I swoon whenever I see Susans pierced chargers).   Red pressed glass wine glasses provided the color I wanted,  the Longchamp tall iced tea glass provided the sparkle I needed for the overall look. I had six matching crystal champagne flutes and added two (taller) from a set of four for the settings at the head of the table. Plain red napkins and a Holly Berry cracker complete my place settings.
Christmas Village Tablescape
I used my Yamazaki Holiday Bouquet flatware.
Yamazaki Holiday Bouquet Flatware, Christmas Flatware
 Red Berries and gold holly leaves wrap around the top of the handles.
Yamazaki Holiday Bouquet Flatware, Christmas Flatware


A simple swirl and the balance of the handle is gently rounded and nicely proportioned stainless steel..

















The stemware is all vintage picked up at thrift stores through the years. I did not have the really tall champagne flutes but I will be watching for them in the future when I am out thrifting.

This table took a bit of work.  I  laid out the MDF boards that I use to enlarge my 38 x 67 inch table (the two boards are 24 x 88 for a total width and length of 48x88 with the boards added to the top of the table with a narrow gap between them  to allow the wiring for the village houses to slip between them).  Then I  found a thrifted tablecloth in my stash that would be harmonious with the dish pattern and the Christmas Village scape. I placed the chargers on the table to see what space I would have for the village and placed white foam boards on the table,  arranged the houses,  and drew off the placement of the houses on the white boards.
I used the pink foam boards from Home Depot as a base to raise the village up a bit to be able to see into the village houses. The pink board was cut to the size I had determined earlier. I arranged the houses according to the template I had drawn on the white board making sure that I would have room for the dinnerware. Once the houses were in place I added the the lights to the houses.  I used the 5 light electrical cords to limit the number of wires.  I cut through the foam board at one end of the table near an outlet to conceal the wires.  A small slit was cut into the tablecloth and the wires were placed between the two pieces of MDF (I had left a quarter inch of gap between them when I set up the table). The light cords were plugged into an extension cord taped to the leg of the table.

That is enough of the technical stuff!  This table turned into a real challenge after all of the houses were laid out and the lights were added to the houses.  I could not find my glue gun to secure the street lights to the boards.  After an hour or two of digging through my crafting supplies I found an old glue gun with about an inch of glue left in it.  I glued the lights the best as I could under the circumstance.  I did end up buying a new glue gun today but I will be taking it back.  When I went to glue in more street lights I found out they did not work anyway.  Now, back to last night for now.  I decided I would open my container of Village people (He-He,  get it  " The Village People") and started placing my little citizens around the village.  I had not put up a village since 2003 when we lived in Florida.  The tote that I had at my house contained the VP's that I had used way back in 2003.  All of my other village stuff is still in storage about thirty miles from here in the basement crawl space of the home I rent out. When I opened the case I found out many of my little village people had not survived the move from Florida.  I think the movers must have used that tote for a really large hockey puck.  I lost about seventy percent of my village people.  Oh no!!!!  Well as luck would have it I had found several grab bags of Christmas village people at the VOA last month that were still in bags in the garage.  It took a while to locate them but when I did find them and opened the bags they were in pretty good shape so I used them in this little village scape. Enough stories for now.... On with the pictures folks!!! Some of the pictures were taken at night without the crackers the balance were taken this morning. 
One of my favorite thrift finds this year was this little Road Champ die cast replica of 1956 red Ford  truck - it is perfect for hauling Christmas trees.
Christmas Village Tablescape with a 1956 Ford truck
 Christmas Village Tablescape
Christmas Village Tablescape
The icy blue lights in the background were a mistake that has now been rectified.  They didn't look blue when I originally put them there. Oops!
Christmas Village Tablescape

The next morning I took some daytime pictures.
Christmas Village Tablescape

Christmas Village Tablescape

Christmas Village Tablescape
And then I noticed something peculiar in the snow.
Christmas Village Tablescape
Do you see them right there in the snow?
Christmas Village Tablescape
There were more,  they were all the way around the village.  There were fence sections knocked down, there was epsom salt snow on the tablecloth (yuck).
Christmas Village Tablescape
Catzilla had struck and he created this disgusting mess of epsom salt on the table.  In days of yore when I used to put up a village with over a hundred houses my little girl cat Baby would take an occasional stroll down through the park (literally the village park) and knock over a few people as she went. Well Baby passed this year so we know it wasn't her.  The prime suspect was caught a while later when he hoped up on the table again. Don't let their innocent looking little faces fool you.  The one on the right was caught red handed, oops I mean red pawed.
Oreo and our handsome Black Prince

More pictures - less words follow.










And now some pictures of alternate settings.  I used some of the suggestions Susan made in her Mix and Match patterns post.

Alternate setting number one........
Christmas Village Tablescape

Christmas Village Tablescape
 
Christmas Village Tablescape
 Alternate setting number two.
Christmas Village Tablescape

Christmas Village Tablescape

Christmas Village Tablescape

Christmas Village Tablescape
Alternate setting number three.  I just love Tartan Plaid.......
Christmas Village Tablescape


Christmas Village Tablescape

Christmas Village Tablescape

Christmas Village Tablescape
The only thing that I went out and bought for this tablescape was the crackers. Everything else was thrifted or bought off of Ebay.

Thrift on Ladies, Thrift on...........

I will be sharing at:

Susan's Tablescape Thursday

Cuisine Kathleen's December copycat Pinterest Challenge

Christine's Table It Link Party

Marty's Inspire Me Tuesday

Kathe's You're Gonna Love It

What's It Wednesday






37 comments:

  1. Candy, this is wonderful! What a labor of love! You did a fabulous job, I so enjoyed every detail! I have to come back and look again when I finish getting through all the entries. Just love it all! Well, not the naughty cats! :) Thanks for this superb entry to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back to say swooning over your chargers AND flatware, so pretty! Did you run the wire under your table the way Susan did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed Susan's instructions and it worked out wonderfully!

      Delete
  3. Magical! This is an A+++++. I would so love to sit at this table. I wouldn't even need a meal! The wonder of it all would keep me focused for hours. I hope you have some dinner parties planned so guests can experience this amazing tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy!!!! Exquisite!!! You can definitely see time went into this impeccable recreation! It is magical. I love, love, love the darker red depression glasses, those delicate white dishes...the tartan, I could go on! Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table is awesome, Candy...there is so much to take in I will have to come back several times to look. I knew it would be a very special table...everything is so perfect...you must have spent hours "building" this. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your amazing tablescaping talent with us.
    I can believe the cat had to investigate, mine do, too...if I have fresh flowers it is hard to keep them away from the table...if I think fast enough all I have to do is show them the squirt bottle and off the go.
    I really like every plate combination you have shown us. Love the chargers.
    I think I have the same red wine stems, mine always look really dark...guess they just need some light bounced off them!
    You have really inspired me to pick up village pieces from now on...I have passed many up, never thinking of using them in a tablescape.
    Have a great weekend...I need to scroll upward one more time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe inspiring - simply fantastic. Oh how I love the colors - and the plates in the alternate settings - and all the work you've gone to. Love the plaid plates - oh how I love them. I have some too - I need to use them this year for sure. I think you came very close to recreating that table - it amazes me.

    oh Catzilla - naughty naughty. I'm glad nothing got knocked over and broken.

    The sparkle and the glitter - it is all the loveliest of christmas tables. And I agree - I could just sit at the table and look at all the pretties for hours and hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love this tablescape! I would never have the patience that you've demonstrated to put this together! It is beautiful! Also, I'm a tad jealous of your vintage truck! I hope to find one too!
    Great job - I know you will enjoy quite a few meals at this lovely table!
    Shelia
    House of Highlands

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous job! I would love to sit at this table and have my dinner while taking in all the wonderful details you've created in the little "town" centerpiece! Not only is the centerpiece terrific but your dishes and stemware look magnificent as well! Going back to look at it some more...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh...my...goodness...can I stay here, in this winter wonderland of whimsy and Christmas cuteness?! Candy, your tablescape talents are, once again, evidenced in this most spectacular seasonal setting. Every single detail to creating this dreamy delight of a town has been executed with such brilliance, and for this reason, I need to sit a spell and take it all in...then, take a walk through this snowy town, peek through every window, and marvel at the magic of its mood.

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning, stunning. stunning, what more could one say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candy, this is just magical! I did a copy of the same table last year, but mine did not compare to yours or Susan's. I love that you have enough fencing to go around the entire village. Your plate stack is perfect, and how wonderful to have such pretty Christmas flatware. I enjoyed seeing all of the village details, and the truck is perfect for hauling a Christmas tree. Each photo was a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "The Village People"! So funny!

    I'd say the cat had absolutely NO defense with his paw print squarely in the evidence!!!!

    You did a really terrific job of mimicking Susan's tablescape! Really, really good right down to the dishes and the English crackers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You, My Dear...are absolutely brilliant!! I love Susan's show-stopper too. But, this just takes my breathe away. I would NOT be involved in the dinner conversation. I would be the Middle-aged woman in the room that everyone was laughing at from gauking at the display like a school girl. lol I am table #25

    ReplyDelete
  14. Candy, this is so wonderful! I absolutely love it! I'm stealing your fence idea and looking for a fence for the next time I get the urge to set this table. My dining room table is so narrow, I'm not sure I can fit it in but I so love how it looks!
    Black Prince just wanted to take a little stroll down the village walk, you know...just in case one of the villagers might have a kitty and have put some food out on a front porch. ;) How could you ever get mad at those sweet little faces. :) That paw print totally cracked me up!
    Your table is just beautiful! Loved the stemware and that beautiful flatware! I hope you have a big dinner party and invite everyone over to see it. Only problem is, they will not want to leave! I love all the looks with the different dishware patterns. I think my fave may have been the one with the sleigh (bringing home the tree). It just fits right in with the village, doesn't it? Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful table! I'm going back now to look again at all the wonderful scenes...so, so magical! XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very pretty, Candy. I just love Christmas Villages. They make them look so real, with all the lighting. I love the fence too....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh goodness Candy, your table is fantastic! Your village looks like it should be in a fancy New York Dept store window! I can't believe you went to all the trouble of creating a template and raised platform, that is a sign of a dedicated professional! It is magical! I am so sorry you lost some of your things in the move, but it sure looks like you still have a ton~love the new pickup! Wonderful, I like it better than your inspiration table [shhhh]!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Catzilla....that made me laugh! and your table is just wonderful! I have been wanting to do one of these for so long but I haven't had time to get to a thrift store to buy any villages. I am loving yours! It is really beautiful Candy....All your hard work really paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Candy my girlfriend do you feel you have a normal mind to deal with all of this stuff?Mdf boards and holes for lites and catzillas in the night? where do you get the energy? this table scape is beyond Fantastic it is unbelievable what you set out to accomplish and boy did you do that.Absolutely wonderful I can not describe it enough. I too have the Batter Homes and Gardens dishes from Walmart and will be using them in my post for next week.Wow after the work you did on this one you need to get some rest. but it was so wort it.Susie



    i'm carrinhg att hgt

    ReplyDelete
  19. Candy my girlfriend do you feel you have a normal mind to deal with all of this stuff?Mdf boards and holes for lites and catzillas in the night? where do you get the energy? this table scape is beyond Fantastic it is unbelievable what you set out to accomplish and boy did you do that.Absolutely wonderful I can not describe it enough. I too have the Batter Homes and Gardens dishes from Walmart and will be using them in my post for next week.Wow after the work you did on this one you need to get some rest. but it was so worth it.Love the paw prints isn't that funny that they only do that when your are sleeping or not around it's so cute how their little minds work and to cute to be mad at either.Susie



    i'm carrinhg att hgt

    ReplyDelete
  20. sorry for printing twice was trying to delete whatever it says on the bottom here.Susie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow what a beautiful copy a table. Lovely lovely lovely !!!!Awesome creation. Everything looks so wonderful. Hats off to your patience!!!! Love and hugs sujatha:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness Candy, what a labor of love you've done for the copycat challenge. You did a superb job of recreating Susan's table and you did it by thrifting!! That makes it all so special. I hope you're keeping this table up for awhile so that you and your guests can enjoy it! I wish I could see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have really enjoyed seeing this tablescape! I always loved those villages, but only have a few pieces of cheaper versions. Love the flatware, the chargers, well all of it! You did a great job on the copycat challenge!

    Merry Christmas!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your tablescape is exquisite! You give so much attention to detail and is fabulously executed!!!! It's absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This table is absolutely gorgeous!! I'm a big fan of 'villages' and I just love how you've displayed this!! I also like all the mix and matching. It worked out beautifully! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just beautiful! And I like all the "alternate" ideas, too. Had to laugh at the mischievous cat, though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. CANDY!!!

    OMG!!!

    I do not know where to even start!! BEAUTIFUL!! STUNNING! AMAZING!!!
    This is one of the best Christmas tablescapes that I have ever seen!! Because I LOVE the village!!

    I am totally stunned with how you lit it up on the table!! Magnificent!!

    AND I adore the flatware, all the different patterns on dishes and the stem ware!!!

    DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!!!
    You deserve and award for this one, Candy!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    I so enjoyed this post!!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my, your copycat is just as stunning as Susan's. Beyond beautiful. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. And you saved THE BEST for last.
    This is my favorite Candy Tablescape EVER.
    Beyond Beautiful and Inspiring.
    Don't your family dare ruin it ahahahah
    WOW. Doble WOW and all the superlatives.
    So in love with it. Not even caring for the stresses you had to go through. It's drop dead Gorgeous.
    You Win!
    Enjoy The Season,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  30. Piękne, bardzo nastrojowe zdjęcia - sprawiły, że przeniosłam się w bajkowy zaczarowany świat- przypominają mi własne dzieciństwo - pozdrawiam serdecznie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wanda, I felt like kid playing with my toys when I was putting this village together.

      Delete
  31. Candy, you did an amazing job in recreating Susan's table - wow! The Christmas village looks so, so pretty on the table and adds so much warmth. I would be tempted to leave it there, until next year!! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stunning! Absolutely stunning! I am rendered speechless! What a masterpiece in table setting you have created from the gorgeous "Christmas Village" centerpiece down to the exquisite china of each place setting, attention to detail is simply stunning! Amazing work! Merry Christmas! Hugs, Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMGoodness, this is magnificent!!! You truly did it beautifully!!! I loved Susan's table when I first saw it and yours is every bit as goegeous!!! BRAVO!!! And, Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am over the moon for this gorgeous tablescape! The village has so much detail! Love the red truck with the tree! Your copy is super amazing!
    Hope you have a happy and blessed holiday season.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  35. Candy, I had meant to read this the other night, and let me say, "WOW!" This is a home run!

    I love all the detail, and I think you must have won this copycat challenge. You nailed it BIG TIME.

    I need to go back and look more closely. Love it, Candy!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete